Beets are kind of like radishes…they pop up this time of year.
Both of them look oh-so pretty and you know they’re super healthy for you. You buy them. They end up looking pretty in your fridge…until they go bad because you have no clue what to do with them.
Am I right or am I right?
I know, right.
But my beet history ends there. Until this salad.
This salad – way simple. Beets aren’t always so simple. Like, how the heck do you keep your hands from turning a stunning, yet inconvenient, magenta-tinted topic of conversation for the next week?
The beets on this salad were epic in simplicity. They were grilled. Period. And wear some gloves when you peel and slice beets. There’s just no way around the staining. But that lovely juice is pure antioxidant nutrition power. You want it.
I recreated this salad after having it at a local restaurant. They used pickled beets which is definitely an option, as well. Just be sure you don’t skip the beets…they make this salad what it is and beets + goat cheese will change any former beet-hater’s mind on the matter.
- 1 beet, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 oz mixed greens
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Grill beets and red onion until slightly charred and softened. Note: the beets may need a lower heat for a longer grill to become tender-crisp.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Add the mixed greens to a large bowl and drizzle with dressing; toss well. Top each salad with ¼ of the beets, onion, and ½ ounce goat cheese.
I hope the week flies by!
Happy Birthday to my baby brother who turns 24 today. Love you, Bubbie!